Monday, October 18, 2010

WELL...DUH?

I was walking through the aisles of Meijer this morning and overheard a brief portion of one side of a phone conversation.  This woman was standing in the aisle answering her ringing phone as I walked by.  She was talking rather loudly so it was not hard to hear my material for today's blog.  She said, "Hello."  There was the normal pause you hear when listening to one side of a phone conversation, which was followed with, "I'm at the grocery store."  I obviously couldn't hear the caller but I know what the next question was based on the response.  They asked, "What are you doing there?"  Because the answer was, "Buying groceries."  I chuckled as I walked because of the tone in which she said it.  If she wasn't in her 70s I would have almost expected her to say, "Well...duh?"


What a ridiculous question to ask (at least my assumption of the question).  What else would you be doing at the grocery store?  Of course, you're buying groceries.  Isn't it obvious?  But that got me thinking (not the big one; wait for it) there are many reasons to be at Meijer that have nothing to do with groceries: they have household items, clothing, a pharmacy, etc.  Maybe she wasn't at Meijer for the obvious reason.


And that got me thinking...why do you go to worship on Sunday morning?  Is it for the obvious reason--to worship the Lord?  Most likely.  But for some, maybe not.  For you, it may only be partially the reason.  Some of us go to worship for reasons other than the obvious.  Some go because it's the "right thing to do"; some for the relationships; some to look good; some simply because it's part of their weekly routine and they hate change.


It may seem like I'm being picky about this.  Some may argue with me and say, "at least they are in church."  And yes, that's true.  But for me, there needs to be this desire to worship the Lord.  There needs to be this longing for life-change.  There needs to be a solid reason to gather together in the "Lord's house".


I realize that God can change hearts and do miracles with people.  So even if someone is in church for the "wrong" reasons, God can do something.  I guess this blog is really a call out to make sure that we have our mindsets right.  I want all of you in church and for the right reasons--to worship a Holy God.


Benefits such as fellowship and feeling good and all the others are great advantages, but make sure that the main reason is to worship God for who He is and bring Him glory.  It's not about the music, or the media, or even the pastor.  It's not about your preferences.  In fact, it's not even about you--it's about God.


"My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad.  Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!"  -Psalm 34:2-3 (ESV)-

No comments:

Post a Comment