Monday, October 4, 2010

A SLIGHT BURN

Braden, our oldest, will be turning six in December.  One issue that we have been battling with him is sucking his thumb.  We've tried all kinds of things to help him stop to no avail.  So, last night we decided to go with painting a Thum Product on his thumbnail that "contains a bitter tasting, but harmless pure vegetable product which acts as an immediate reminder whenever user puts finger in mouth."  The first ingredient in the product is cayenne pepper extract (Braden is holding the product in the picture).


Braden finds great comfort in sucking his thumb and has told us exactly that on many occasions.  In his mind, for us to ask him to stop sucking his thumb is an atrocity.  For him, the idea of putting something on his thumbnail so that he CAN'T suck his thumb is pure torture.  Needless to say, he was not on board with this procedure.


After much crying...I got myself under control, wiped my tears, and came up with an idea.  Instead of moving to the next step and holding him down to apply the clear (yet stinky) nail polish, I offered to put it on my thumb first.  And after seeing that it did not hurt to apply the product, I was able to persuade him to let me put it on him.


Braden went into the bedroom and I got curious.  I'd like to say that I was being a good dad and needed to see what my son was going to endure when he caved in and stuck his thumb in his mouth, but the reality was different...I wanted to see just because I was curious.


I was hesitant and did a quick lick and got nothing.  So, I took a deep breath and stuck it in...still nothing.  There was no bitter taste that they had mentioned.  I stuck my thumb in and started sucking (thinking there may be some physiological reaction to the movement and oxygen flow) and that might have been it because my tongue was starting to tingle.  I removed my thumb and realized that my tongue was feeling that slight burn like I was eating a mild salsa at an authentic Mexican restaurant.  But what good is that...Braden likes salsa.  This stuff was junk.


And that got me thinking...unfortunately when we sin we feel the same kind of reaction.  When we commit the sin, rarely do we get a bitter taste from it.  Sin usually feels, tastes, looks good--otherwise we wouldn't do it.  Rarely do we have that "immediate reminder" that we shouldn't be doing it.  After a little while, we may get that slight burn of guilt and conviction.  I so wish that we would get a horrible bitter taste when we sin.  Actually, it would be better to get that bitter taste BEFORE we sin to keep us from committing the sin.


What we need to do is pull in closer to Jesus; we need to get in His Word.  Every day that we spend time with Him, we will learn how to become more like Him.  We are to be like Jesus and Jesus was sinless.  That is something for which we should strive.  Can we attain it?  I don't know...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.


Get in the Word.  Let the Holy Spirit convict you of your sin when you feel a slight burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment