Tuesday, October 5, 2010

HIM AND HIS GLORY

I don't know how many of you may have noticed, but I have an area on my blog that shows who is "following" the blog.  I'm not exactly sure what that all entails or what it necessarily means, other than these are people that want to visibly support my blog.  Let me say that it means a lot to me to have people on there.  It's like you're saying, "We really like what you are doing."


If you have noticed the "Followers" area, you may or may not have noticed that it disappeared for a period of time.  The reason for that is quite simple: somehow I became a follower of my own blog.  Now, you may not think that's a big deal, but for me...it was embarrassing.  Of course I follow my own blog...I write it.  But to put myself up there as following it was like giving myself a high five in public.  Do I think what I write is good?  Sure...otherwise I wouldn't put it out there for people to see.  But I didn't like how that felt seeing me as a "follower" and I didn't know how to change my status of being a follower.  So I removed the entire area.


And that got me thinking...how do we view ourselves?  Are we great in our own minds?  Do we do things in life to make ourselves look good, for our own benefit?  Or do we do things simply for the Lord's benefit?  Do I make myself look great for my benefit or for the Lord's benefit?  Why do we do what we do?  For who's glory are we working?


To work solely for the Lord and not for ourselves is so counter-cultural.  We live in a self-promotion, ladder-climbing society.  Yet, for those who follow the Lord, we are called in James 4:10 to "humble [ourselves] before the Lord".  And in time--and for his glory--"He will exalt you."


It's not about us...it's about Him and His glory.  Even when He exalts us...it's not about us.


I ended up figuring out how to remove my status of following myself.  So, please know that if I end up somehow following my blog again, it was not because I was loving my writing.  And for those of you following me, thank you...but know that you are not following me but the Lord working through me so that He may receive the glory.  I do this not for me, but for Him and His glory.


"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."  -Acts 20:24 (ESV)-



No comments:

Post a Comment