Thursday, October 14, 2010

THE RIGHT ROLL

Well, I found out that I was "following" my blog again.  At least now I know how to remove myself.  Technology can be so funny.

That was the case today at work.  And this technology isn't even that new.  We have an old cash register at the trailer down at Camp Atterbury.  It doesn't have a touch screen; it doesn't have a credit card swipe; it has the receipt paper coming right out of the register, instead of it's own little receipt printer.

Depending on how busy we are, we change the receipt paper every day or every other day--it's a fairly routine thing.  Today when I changed it, I put an older, larger roll of receipt paper in that I had found in a drawer a few days ago.  I thought it would be great--it was bigger, it would last longer.

However, when I started running the next order, the receipt wasn't printing.  It was feeding just fine, but it wasn't printing.  This wasn't really a big deal because the soldiers usually don't want a receipt.  But it became a big deal when I realized that I wouldn't be able to print up the end-of-day report.  I need that to keep track of our sales for the day and what we sold.

So, I spent the rest of the time trying to figure out why it wasn't printing.  During one of our down times, I even tore apart the register.  I couldn't think of anything else to do.  Eventually, I thought about the fact that I had used that "different" roll of paper.  I truly didn't think that would be it, but I had tried everything else.  I changed the roll to the "normal" roll and it worked.


And that got me thinking...Jesus is the only way to salvation.  Some people don't like that statement, but I'm going to say it boldly.  If you're a Christian who believes what the Bible says, you cannot think differently.


Just as it was with this roll of paper, I thought a different one would work.  It looked similar; it had the same core as the real ones; in fact, it looked BETTER because it had more to offer.  None of that mattered...I needed the right roll.


And the same holds true with faith: it doesn't matter if another religion looks good; it doesn't matter if they believe some of the same things; it doesn't matter if you are living a good life...what matters for salvation is that you have the right roll--and that's Jesus.


"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.'"  -John 14:6 (ESV)-

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated! "...the way, the truth,and the life."

    ReplyDelete