Friday, October 1, 2010

TURN IT ON

Oh man...I should have seen this coming.  Yesterday's blog started of with the following sentence: "Today started off like any other."   Let me tell you that today was NOT like any other.  I then finished the first paragraph with, "Other than determining the number of sandwiches to bring, nothing really changes.  Everything usually goes as planned and rarely do we deviate from that plan."


Oh baby, the plans changed today.


Everything seemed to be going as it normally does, but our drive down to Atterbury was horrible.  I'm not sure I made it to even the speed limit but a couple of times.  Everybody was driving so slow.  But the trouble really started when we got to the trailer.  I opened the trailer up and revved up the generator.  As I was turning on the drink station, the generator quit.  "Not a problem" I thought to myself, "I'd rather have it run out of gas now before we start, fill 'er up, and open for business."


So, I got out the gas can, filled the generator and fired her up again.  And within a minute, the generator was off again.  We were in trouble.  That generator runs all of our electricity in the trailer. You can't use the cash register or the credit card machine; the drink station needs electricity so I couldn't even serve a coke.  So our day began with only tea and lemonade, cash-only transactions, a pad of paper, calculator, and a pile of cash on the counter.  Luckily, I would say that I am pretty good at math in my head and changing out money without the aid of a register.


Well, to make a long story short...one of our frequent guests at the trailer said he would look at it.  And within minutes we were up and running again with electricity.  Apparently, the fuel line had somehow been shut off.


And that got me thinking...are we getting the power we need?  Are we connected to the "Power Source"?  Or have we shut off our fuel line from the Lord?


I believe that all too often, we try to "go at it" alone; we try to do it ourselves--which, for the most part, can be done.  We can live this life without the Lord, but it's a lot harder.  I could count the cash by hand and we could keep business going, but we were very limited with what we could do.  It is the same way with the Lord in this life, you can "make it" but it is a lot harder and you are limited.  The analogy of mowing your lawn is the perfect example: If you can use a 60-inch zero-turn radius rider, why would you use a pair of scissors?


That is the choice you are making by not turning on your fuel line from the Lord.  Not only are you making things harder by not receiving the Lord's "fuel", but your life after this one will be even harder.  Trust in the Lord Jesus with your life, connect your fuel line to THE power source, and turn it on.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for this reminder! This has been a deep-rooted obstacle in my life since I was a child, not trusting enough to open-up. I did turn my life over to Christ at about age 33, and a great burden was lifted, but that is were the journey began, and the path has not been easy or straight! It has been most difficult when I have not turned it all over to God! Result: energy crisis. Guess I need reminders ...frequently...Daily!
    "When things look dark, look Up."

    ReplyDelete