Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BETTER PREPARED

I decided late last night that I would take the two older boys camping.  Braden and Caleb love camping.  They think it's the greatest thing in the world to be in a tent, to be with Dad, to be doing something different like sleeping outside...even if it is only in the backyard.

I haven't taken them "camping" camping yet.  I'm building them up to it.  But right now, they don't care...they think it's great.  I also think it's great.  Yes, I would rather hike in a few miles and then set up camp, but this will have to do for now.

I love hiking and camping, but haven't been able to find the time to do so.  Braden and I were able to take a 2-mile hike a couple of months ago.  It was great to get out.  I just wish we could have set up camp and used some of my gear.

You see, as I indicated in yesterday's blog, I'm not only an office supply junkie, but I am also fond of all kinds of gear from places like Gander Mountain.  I like having the gear and being prepared to use it on a hike or camping expedition.  Even on a day-hike, I have the preparations and gear for a three-night stay, just in case.  You never know what the woods will bring your way.

So, last night while we were camping in the backyard, I decided that I was going to try out a new piece of gear that I had acquired for my hiking pack.  It was something that I had wanted for awhile because of the size and capabilities.  I usually carry a thermal blanket with me in the car or my in "everyday" bag, but those are only so good and only so big.  This new piece of gear was basically a thermal sleeping bag and I wanted to see if it would do the job it said it would.  Would this keep me warm if I got caught for the night in the woods?

Other than the fact that it was loud when you moved and I felt like I was trying to sleep in a Jiffy Pop Popcorn pan.  It kept me REALLY warm; in fact, I felt like I was too warm at times.  It really did the job it said it would.  And having that experience, I will feel more confident in my gear and better prepared when I go on hikes.

And that got me thinking...are you confident in your spiritual gear?  Do you feel ready to evangelize an unbeliever?  Do you know what verses of scripture to use?  How do you deal with this situation you just found yourself in--whatever that might be?

Granted, I'm aware that you cannot predict every situation and how things will transpire.  I'm also very aware that if we trust in the Lord and hand over the situation to Him, He will guide us and give us the words to say.  However, WE will feel better and more prepared if we know what our "gear" is and how to use it.

Do you practice evangelism with Christian friends?  Do you quiz each other on Scriptures that would be beneficial in times of witnessing?  Do you even hold your Christian friends accountable as to whether they are reading the Word on a regular basis?  Is someone holding you accountable?

Some of you may be wondering what I'm talking about; some of you think I'm wasting my time and breath with something so silly; some of you (those that attend Resurrected Life) are shaking with chills because you know what I'm talking about.

The people of Resurrected Life have a love/hate relationship with this line of questioning.  Every now and then, we spend time role-playing.  We "practice" evangelism with each other.  Now, by doing so, are we going to pick the perfect example of what we'll run into?  I doubt it, but we're getting used to the awkwardness of talking to people about the Lord and then we talk about the issues that we run across.  We are preparing ourselves for those types of situations in the real world when we need those skills.  We also hold each other accountable on a weekly basis on what we've read in the Word throughout the week.

What will the Lord bring our way?  We don't know...but we are better prepared for whatever it is.


"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."  -1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)-

No comments:

Post a Comment